Monday, August 2, 2010

Chapter the Second: The Introduction Strikes Back

Last night I forgot to tell you about a few of my other favourite things.
For some reason I’ve always loved lists. Namely lists counting down inanities such as “The Top Ten Games You’ve Never Played” or “The 5 Biggest Burgers in America”. Show me a list of something unimportant and I will be fascinated.
Another thing that interests me greatly is the English language, especially semantics (basically, the meaning of words). I occasionally drop the long word or an archaic meaning into a conversation, just to confound and bamboozle the other participant. It’s fun to see them try to get the meaning occasionally.
In view that these are two of my favourite things (and no I don’t like warm woollen mittens or brown paper packages wrapped up with string), I have decided to compose a list of the top ten words that used to be okay to use in conversation but now just sound rude:
10. Pussy – an affectionate term for a house cat.
9. Cock – A male chicken
8. Slag – A smelting by-product
7. Flange – The lip on a train wheel.
6. Moist – Of wet tasting
5. Flaps – The control rudders on an aeroplanes wing (now called boringly, ailerons).
4. Mount – A mountain
3. Slit - A narrow gap with two parallel sides
2. Nob – A hill or a handle
1. Bulge – A swelling or a famous World War 2 battle (co-incidentally I’m going through a personal battle of the bulge currently but hopefully the diet should reduce the flab offensive).


Well that’s it for tonight. Sweet dreams all!

No comments:

Post a Comment